Friday, January 8, 2016

Resolved, To Stick To My Resolves

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
~2 Corinthians 5:17~

Resolved, that I will live so as I shall wish I had done when I come to die.
~Jonathan Edwards, Resolution 17~


The new year is a time for making resolutions; it is when we feel like we can make a new start, so we determine upon certain actions that we believe will improve our lives. 

When I think of resolutions I think of the theologian, Jonathan Edwards (who doesn't?), whose list of 70 resolutions I'm sure all of us have memorized... he took his resolutions seriously, constantly examining himself. Yet, here we are into day eight of 2016 and I imagine many people have already skimped or given up on their determinations. 

I think Edwards understood something that eludes many a modern-day folk--that, especially as Christians, we should stick to our resolves; as a matter of being true to our word, we should treat our resolutions as we are meant to treat promises--as a covenant--we should "let our yes be yes and our no be no."

So, in order to stick to our resolutions, we should make them realistic as well as righteous. That doesn't mean we shouldn't challenge ourselves; it means instead of resolving to lose ten pounds a week, maybe resolve to be consistent in a healthier lifestyle. 

The Lord honors righteousness. For righteousness stems from a desire to please Him, not from selfishness. When we make plans for our own glory, they often fall apart. But when we make it our goal to walk closely with God, He uses all for HIs glory; and He blesses those who glorify Him.

Though I have made a list of goals/desires of things I would like to do/achieve each day, my actual resolution is simple: to create rather than merely consume. I want to contribute, I want to be involved, instead of letting others do it for me. I don't want to give in to living, buying, or enjoying the way that the world around me tells me to. My Father has much more in store for me than the world, or even I, can imagine. So, I will use the gifts He has given me to live rather than exist. In living I make room for Him to move in me.

Now, even with the most realistic and righteous resolutions, we are not immune to falling off of the wagon. When this happens, the key is not to just quit, but repent, forgive ourselves, and begin again. 

Each experience, negative or positive, is an opportunity for improvement.

I believe Jonathan Edward's 53rd resolution is a simple promise  that all would do well to make. It goes as follows:  "Resolved, to cast and venture my soul on the Lord Jesus Christ, to trust and confide in him, and consecrate myself wholly to him; that from this I may have assurance... knowing that I confide in my redeemer."

After all, isn't that why Jesus died? Not to cast some magical spell that would keep us from sinning, but rather to give us a chance at redemption. 

He knows we are going to mess up, and if we're honest with ourselves, so do we. However, this is no excuse to stop trying. He gives us all we need to push forward and use each day to be better than we were the day before.

The Lord desires and deserves perfection. Let's not be so insulting by claiming that we cannot even strive to achieve it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment